Experience Wichita like a local with our list of 100 fun things to do in and around the Wichita area. Technically, it’s over 100 because I couldn’t make enough cuts.
Whether you’re looking for family fun, unique culinary or brewery experiences, museums, live music, shopping, sports, or date nights, Wichita has more to do than most people realize. Rest assured, this list isn’t sponsored or influenced by anybody. This is all written by locals who spend their own time and money truly experiencing what this city has to offer.
History, Science & the Arts
- Explore the rich historical and cultural heritage of Wichita and Sedgwick County at the Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum.
- No visit to Wichita is complete without a stop by the most iconic sculpture that is The Keeper of the Plains.
- Catch a glimpse of life in the 1870s at Old Cowtown Museum, with exhibits and daily demonstrations.
- One of the great rooms of the 21st Century can be found at the Frank Lloyd Wright’s Allen House.
- Admire the awe-inspiring artwork that fill MarkArts or take in an art class or culinary class.
- Check out vision of the Kansas African American Museum, the premier place where the communities come to learn about or tell the Kansas African American story.
- Watch the passion of performance when the city’s best performers take the stage at the Music Theatre of Wichita, Kechi Playhouse, The Forum Theatre, or the Century II Performing Arts Center.
- Learns something new at CityArts who offers workshops and classes in a wide variety of creative subjects like pottery, photography, glassblowing, drawing and painting, and silversmithing.
- The Air Capital means you have to stop by the Kansas Aviation Museum.
- Head to the Wichita Art Museum, Ulrich Museum of Art, or Wichita Center for the Arts check out some of the city’s best galleries for free.
- It’s all aboard at the Great Plains Transportation Museum.
- Discover the history and culture of Native Americans at The Mid-America All-Indian Center.
- Experience a trek through time at the Museum of World Treasures, where history comes alive.
- Food history can be found at the Pizza Hut Museum, the original Pizza Hut building.
- Come see the thousands of historic and interesting firefighting items at the Kansas Firefighters Museum.
- Get creative at MakeICT or GoCreate, two of the city’s makerspaces.
- Go to the Wichita Toy Train Club and Museum where you’ll find several working toy trains set up in their scenic toy surroundings, along with displays of toy trains and collectible items relating to toy train brands.
- Take in First Friday, the gallery crawl for thousands of students, families and art lovers to engage with local art each month at unique locations in downtown and throughout the city.
- You never know what will happen next at the Flying Pig Improv.
- Experience science in interactive ways and let your imagine come to life at Exploration Place.
Food and Drink
- Check out what’s on tap at our local breweries like Hopping Gnome Brewing, PourHouse, Wichita Brewing Company, Third Place Brewing, Central Standard Brewing, Limestone Beer Co. or River City Brewing Co.
- Take it a step further and check out the outdoor igloos in the cooler months at Norton’s Brewing Co.
- Gather your friends and head over to P.M. Sessions at the Canvas. There you can enjoy a private multi-course blind meal where everything is decided for you with 10-12 of your closest foodies.
- Walk around the areas of Revolutsia or Clifton Square where foods of all kind await you.
- Cook your own food at Gangnam Korean BBQ on a gas grill built into the table.
- Make a toast at one of the many local wineries and wine bars like Alzavino Wine Tavern, Jenny Dawn Cellars, Grace Hill Winery, Wyldewood Cellars, and Fleur De Vin.
- Spend an afternoon on one of the best patios in Wichita.
- Grab some weekend dim sum at Pho Le’s or Tom’s Lotus Garden.
- Watch airplanes come and go at Stearman Airfield Bar & Grill and enjoy an afternoon on their big patio overlooking the landing strip.
- Catch some shrimp and a cooking show at one of the local hibachi spots: Kobe’s Japanese Steakhouse, Sumo by Nambara and Old Tokyo Steakhouse.
- Order fare with flair from one of the city’s host of beloved food trucks at such events like the Southside Food Truck Rally at Blood Orchards or the food truck rallies hosted by the Wichita Food Truck Coalition like Food Trucks at the Fountain.
- Pick berries, visit the goats, or enjoy a farm-to-table meal at Elderslie Farm.
- If all else fails, Wichita is home to one of the most eclectic selections of restaurants. Here’s a sampling of some of the best in town.
Nightlife & Entertainment
- Enjoy some live shoe from the biggest acts at Wave, Intrust Bank Arena, or The Cotillion.
- Catch a flick at AMC Theatres or one of the Regal Warren Theatres.
- Want to see a movie underneath the stars? The Starlite Drive-In is your answer.
- Enrich yourself with live orchestral music thanks to the Wichita Symphony Orchestra.
- Learn a boardgame or two at Hero Complex Games & Entertainment or Wizards Asylum.
- Compete against the house and gamble your way to big winnings at Kansas Star Casino or CrossWinds Casino.
- Laugh the night away at The Looney Bin.
Stop by The Orpheum Theatre who does it all from nationally touring music artists, as well as hosting film series, stand-up comics, and dance groups.
- Find out if you’re the next Bob Ross at Paint the Town or Pinot’s Palette.
- Grab a controller, a beer, and a seat at Headshot Bar & Grill where over 1,000 videogames are available at your disposal.
- Channel your inner lumberjack at either Axe to Grind or Blade & Timber for some classic ax-throwing.
- So much local music to be had at the many bars like Barleycorn’s, Kirby’s Beer Store, The Shamrock, or the Brickyard.
- Looking for a date night? We have a great list of places to check out.
- Enjoy a themed dinner and show at Roxy’s Downtown, Crown Uptown Theatre, Mosley Street Melodrama, or Prairie Pines Playhouse.
- Don’t forget to dab your free space at Bingo Casino where bingo is available seven days a week.
Outdoor & Adventure
- Grab your swimsuit and head over to Splash Aqua Park. Make your way around their series of inflatable slides, runways, jumping pillows, and bouncers all connected together and floating in a large refreshing lake.
- Experience the joy of horsemanship at Wichita Riding Academy.
- Make your way to Bliss Climbing & Fitness and discover your love of rock climbing.
- Whether you’re a beginner or a pro, hone your archery skills as Diamond Archery.
- Connect with nature at the Great Plains Nature Center.
- Sit on the lawn at Naftzger Park and soak in the weather.
- Get wet and wild at Rock River Rapids, the premier water park in south-central Kansas.
- Stroll through the tranquil gardens at Botanica. Make sure to ride the carousel while there.
- Blow your own ornaments at Karg Art Glass or stop by to visit the city’s foremost glassblowing studio and gallery.
- Get up-close with the animals at Tanganyika Wildlife Park, where getting hands on is part of the allure.
- Get crafty at such places like Pinspiration or Board & Brush.
- Visit one of the state’s biggest attractions at Sedgwick County Zoo, home to 3,000 individual animals of nearly 400 species.
- Put the quarters away at The Arcade and enjoy all you can play classic video games for the low price of $10.
- Get closer to the stars at the Lake Afton Public Observatory.
- Visit the largest public library in Wichita, the Advanced Learning Library, is designed for the distinct needs of youth age groups from birth to teens, an audiovisual studio, 3D printing, and a number of collaboration spaces,
- Take the Q-Line and explore Delano, Old Town, Douglas Design District, and Clifton Square.
- Take the family to All Star Sports to enjoy some miniature golf, arcades, bumper carts, go-karts and more
- Head over to O.J. Watson Park and ride the train, kayaks, pedal boats or play volleyball and ride the ponies.
- Travel back 65 million years ago to Field Station: Dinosaurs for a one-of-a-kind, prehistoric experience featuring over 40 life-sized, moving and realistic dinosaurs.
- Want to see some animals on a cheap budget, visit the free Kansas Wildlife Exhibit.
- Choose one of many activities to do at Chicken N Pickle. Whether it’s pickleball, ice skating, yard games, live music, there’s so much fun happening.
- With over 120 parks in Wichita, you’re guaranteed to find one that is convenient for you to spend an afternoon at.
- Put on the skates at Carousel Skate Center and make your way around the rink.
- Purchase a game card and work your way towards prizes at Dave & Busters, Round1, Pizza Ranch, or Emerson Biggins game room.
- A quarter mile race dragstrip at 3:16 Slotcar Raceway where old-fashioned slot car racing takes place awaits you.
- Solve the puzzles required to escape the room at The Room, Entrap Games, or Escapology.
- Put your bowling shoes on and knock down some pins at The Alley, Northrock Lanes, West Acres, and Seneca Bowl.
Just For The Kids
Festivals and Events
- Groove to the music at Bradley Fair with their summer music series.
- Head downtown for the biggest food event in town with the Wichita Wagonmasters Downtown Chili Cookoff.
- Pack the streets with Open Streets ICT where the traffic is closed and open for biking, walking, running, dancing, yoga, and more!
- Attend The Wichita Asian Festival, which aims to promote cultural awareness among various Asian groups and provides a way to keep the expression of Asian cultural arts alive.
- Enjoy your one major hangover of the year following the annual Crawl For Cancer.
- Show your appreciation of the cinematic arts at The Tallgrass Film Festival.
- Immerse yourself in comic book culture and all things geek at the Air Capital ComicCon and celebrate the artistry of cosplay and gaming in all its forms.
- Grab your fill of BBQ at the Smoke on the Plains Derby BBQ & Music Fest.
- Creativity, food and fun culminate into an event called Autumn & Art drawing thousands annually.
- Celebrate German heritage with local craft beer and brats at ICT Bloktoberfest.
- Christmas cheer is best had with the premiere light show that is Illuminations.
- This annual festival celebrates all things garlic takes place at Orie’s Garlic Fest.
- Every second is Taco Tuesday at the Wichita Taco Fest where the best come together to see who can make the best taco.
- Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day the right way at the Delano St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
- Take in the Greater Andover Days, a four-day festival of food, fun and entertainment.
- Relish good music, good art and good times at the Wichita River Festival.
And that concludes the 100 Best Things To Do In Wichita. Any ones stick out as your favorites? Drop them in the comments below.
Something cool in Wichita we should check out? To nominate your business or event to be considered for a review, please email us with your information. We are always open to suggestions.
Did you find this article helpful and want to support the continuing free content at Wichita By E.B.? The site is made possible by contributions and keeps this resource free for the city. You can help keep our site going with a simple one-time or recurring donation.
Credit: Source link